Home  |  About  |  Contact |  Francais
facebook      twitter

Latest news and information


9 Sep 2014

Federal Budget 2015 and Beyond


Consistent investment in graduate education and research is an important strategy for government in order to maintain a strong economy, an engaged workforce and healthy communities.

That’s the message that CAGS is bringing to Ed Holder, Minister of State for Science and Technology when President Noreen Golfman and Executive Director Sally Rutherford meet with him this week.

With a federal budget on the horizon and a federal election just one year away, it is important to keep the up the pressure on the issue of graduate funding for all disciplines. It is an investment that has proven results. Nearly 75 per cent of Canadian graduate students will enter the workforce by filling demand for highly skilled workers in public and private sectors, healthcare, and government. The remaining 25% will fill positions in the education sector.

The 2014 budget added $ 1.5 billion to the Canada First Research Excellence Fund which helps institutions maintain and develop research infrastructure.

But there’s more that can be done. There is a good roadmap in the Chakma Report which was submitted to the federal government in 2012. CAGS will be encouraging the government to revisit the recommendations in that report which focuses on the importance of Canada’s role in international education.

Want to know more? Here’s the CAGS Pre-Budget Submission to the Finance Committee (pdf).